Accessing the Service – Carers

If your relative or friend feels that they have a problem and would like some help, they can request a referral to our service via their GP. This will require making an appointment for them to see their GP.

We accept referrals from GPs who work within Norfolk, (excluding Great Yarmouth and Waveney). If your relative or friend is registered to a GP practice within the coastal area of Great Yarmouth and Waveney, they will need to be referred to the Coastal Eating Disorder Service.  Please click here for further information.  If your relative or friend is moving into the area we would ask that they register with a GP in the area as soon as possible, in the interim we would consider a referral from a GP or specialist service outside of the area. Unfortunately we do not accept self-referrals or referrals from family or friends.

In order for us to be able to see your relative or friend as quickly as possible, we ask GPs to complete a referral form with some information about symptoms. We know that it can be difficult for some people to talk to their GP about their eating disorder. Beat can offer support, help and advice to people about how to go about this which can be accessed by calling their helpline on 0808 801 0677. They may wish to make an appointment and go on their own or they may welcome the offer to support and / or accompany them to the GP appointment. 

If their GP feels that NCEDS is the most appropriate service for them, they will make a referral.

Referral process

Once NCEDS has received the referral from the GP, the team will make decision about whether we are the best service to see your relative or friend. We will let their GP know within 48 hours if we think we are not the best service for them and / or we need more information before making that decision.

Once the team have decided that we can offer your relative or friend an assessment, we will phone or email them within 48 hours to offer the next available assessment appointment. If we cannot get hold of them, we will send an appointment letter and ask them to confirm whether they can attend.

Transitioning from CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service)

Transitioning from Child and Adolescent to Adult Services can be a frustrating time for relatives or friends as the level of involvement for family members, friends or carers changes when a person turns 18 years old.  At NCEDS, we aim to meet with the young person, their family member(s) and the Child and Adolescent Service in the six months prior to their 18th birthday in order to agree a comprehensive transition plan. You will be invited to a psycho-educational information session to learn more about our Service, what we offer patients and what services are available for you. This includes a carer support assessment in this six month period to discuss what support is available for you. There are instances where confidentiality can be overridden by health professionals, when justified by risk or required by law.  For instance, if there is a high level of risk we have a legal obligation to let others involved in their care know if there are health and safety issues which need to be considered. 

The following flow chart (here) provides a summary of the process when a patient is referred to NCEDS from CAMHS.

The page was last updated on 19 June 2017 by eleanor.buckle.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo