Accessing the Service - patients

If you feel that you have a problem and would like some help, you can request a referral to our service via your GP. This will require making an appointment to see your GP.

We accept referrals from GPs who work within Norfolk, (excluding Great Yarmouth and Waveney). If you are registered to a GP practice within the coastal area of Great Yarmouth and Waveney, you will need to be referred to the Coastal Eating Disorder Service.  Please click here for further information.  If you are moving into the area, we would ask that you register with a local GP as soon as possible. In the interim, we will consider a referral from a GP or specialist service outside of the area. Unfortunately we do not accept self-referrals.

In order for us to be able to see you as quickly as possible, we ask GPs to complete a referral form with some information about your symptoms. This means that your GP will ask you some questions about your eating patterns, any strategies that you may be using to control your weight (e.g. purging) and your feelings about your weight and/or body. Your GP will also want to check your physical health which may involve taking your weight, pulse and blood pressure. A blood test is also a good measure of how well your body is coping with weight loss and/or purging.

We know that it can be difficult for some people to talk to their GP about their eating disorder. Beat can offer support, help and advice about how to go about this which you can access by calling their national helpline on 0808 801 0677. The important thing is that now you have decided to seek support, you go ahead and make an appointment with your GP in order to access the help that you need. 

If your GP feels that NCEDS is the most appropriate service for you, they will make a referral. It is important that you give your GP all the available ways to contact you (e.g. address, phone, mobile, email) so that we can get in touch with you as quickly as possible.

Referral process

Once NCEDS has received your referral from your GP, the team will make a decision about whether we are the best service to see you. We will let your GP know within 48 hours if we think we are not the best service for you and / or we need more information before making that decision.

Once the team have decided that we can offer you an assessment, we will phone you within 48 hours to offer the next available assessment appointment.  If we cannot get hold of you, we will send you a letter with an appointment and ask you to confirm whether you can attend. 

Transitioning from other services – e.g. CAMHS

If you are currently receiving treatment for your eating disorder in CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) in Norwich or Kings' Lynn -  and are due to turn 18 soon - you might be referred to NCEDS by your local adult eating disorder service. This process should start six months before your 18th birthday. Your team will contact us and a joint meeting will be arranged for you, your carer, a member of your CAMHS team and a member of the NCEDS team to discuss your treatment and whether NCEDS is the most appropriate service for you. If so, you and your parents will be given information about our service and we will be able to answer any questions you might have. We will then invite you to attend an assessment with NCEDS (3-4 weeks before you turn 18). Your assessment will involve visiting our clinic (The Springs, Sprowston in Norwich) and meeting a member of the NCEDS team for 90minutes. This will give us an opportunity to find out more about you and for you to become familiar with our clinic and the team.   Following your assessment, you will be invited to attend a follow-up meeting to discuss your treatment options and any discharge plans from the CAMHS service will be agreed. You will start receiving treatment with NCEDS after your 18th birthday. 

The following flow chart provides a summary of the process when a patient is referred to NCEDS from CAMHS - find it below.



Further information

The page was last updated on 15 March 2018 by pcouch.


Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

IIP-logo-reversed Mindful-employer NHS-Employers-web Triangle-of-Care-member Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo