Some people seem to enjoy mental well-being all of the time. Most of us don’t! At times, life can be too stressful and uncertain, or we get ourselves into difficulties, or bad things just happen. The support of friends and family helps ride out the hard times, people make changes in their lives, and ‘time is a great healer’. But sometimes things don’t seem to get better, and it makes sense to seek help.  


If you are someone who is able to seek and use advice on your own, and you have a sense of what’s causing your problems, then have a look at the adult CPFT services or in our services directories to find what’s available locally or online to help. 

If self-help hasn’t worked for you, or you continue to be distressed and confused about how you feel or are behaving, you may decide that you need professional help. 

However, to check that there aren’t physical problems confusing the picture and to begin to understand your particular issues, the first person you should go to is your GP. Your GP will help think with you how: the sort of person you are, your current life situation and things that have happened to you might all combine to explain your mental difficulties. The GP has options of giving advice and support, suggesting a way forward that perhaps you’d not thought of and, or offering you a trial of medication, for example for depression or anxiety. Importantly, your GP is the ‘gateway’ to refer you into specialist NHS mental health services.

Mental health services are set up to offer treatment and support for different sorts of mental health problems, and at different levels of severity and need. Click on What support is available for more information.

The page was last updated on 21 January 2014 by agrosbois.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo