What support is there for me?

There are many organisations and online services that provide information and support for people with mental health difficulties. Have a look at our services page to see what is available in your area or for the problem you are experiencing.

Within CPFT, there are specialists who work with people who are experiencing difficulties with their mental well-being such as anxiety, depression, psychosis, obsessive compulsive disorder  and other mental health conditions. They are able to work with you to understand your needs and look at a range of treatments and strategies that will help. We can be flexible in our ways of working, and can get other professionals involved if we agree it would be useful.

In our service, we have teams of people from different professional backgrounds so the support we offer will be based on what you need. To find out what help and support you need, the person you see from our service will carry out a full assessment with you, your health and current situation. This usually involves you answering a lot of questions, and telling us what really matters to you and how you think you can improve your life.

If your difficulties are at a fairly mild level, we might work with you in our primary care service - also known as the Psychological Wellbeing Service (IAPT). This service can offer individual and group sessions, and help you to work out how to make some changes to your life to improve your situation. More serious mental health problems can be a cause of significant distress to you and to your family. In this situation you might be offered more in-depth support from our other teams. These teams have nurses, psychiatrists, social workers, occupational therapists, psychologists and support workers. We will work with you to plan care that meets your needs, working towards the things that are important to you.

You might have different people working with you for different types of help - for example, to prescribe and monitor medication; to help you to understand your difficulties and learn new coping strategies; to agree support with practical difficulties such as housing, help with care or finance; or just to help you enjoy life a little more through doing more of what you enjoy or finding new activities to get involved with. We also work closely with voluntary organisations. As a service we aim to support you in your community as much as possible and to help you to access available resources.

In some cases it may be required to be admitted to one of our inpatient wards. On admission patients are allocated a key worker / care co-ordinator who is a qualified member of staff who they can discuss care needs and agree on a care plan. Staff use the Care Programme Approach to assess and document patient's needs. Treatment will include input from nurses, doctors, occupational therapists, psychologists, physiotherapists, and other members of the multi-disciplinary team.

Is there support for my carer?

As a service we are committed to working with and supporting family carers. This might be in the form of informal conversations and support, or can be through a more formal carer’s assessment in some teams. The carer’s assessment covers things like if your carer might need support with finances and benefits, or help around the house, or if they might need to talk to someone about their worries

The page was last updated on 02 December 2015 by Adrian Jackson.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo