If you need urgent help, call 999 or 112 and tell them which emergency service you need - police, fire brigade or ambulance.


Who to call in a crisis-not only if you are a teenager

Violent or threatening behaviour, abuse or violence in the home

If you are hurt, or afraid that you are going to be hurt by someone, including a member of your family or your carer, who is being violent or threatening to you, call 999 or 112 and ask for the police or an ambulance. You can also go to Accident and Emergency (A&E) at your local hospital and tell them what has happened if you do not want to call the police yourself or do not need an ambulance. If you or a family member are suffering from abuse or violence at home please talk to:

Overdose or injury

Call 999 and ask for an ambulance or, if quicker, get the person straight to Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) at the nearest hospital. If you are in mental health crisis, you can call our First Response Service on 111, then press option 2.


If you think a person's condition is serious after taking drugs or inhaling something, call 999 and ask for an ambulance. Drugs advisory service Talk to Frank has advice including what to do in an emergency. 24-hour advice and information: 0800 77 66 00 and Text service: 82111.

Self harm

If someone has deliberately hurt themselves badly, take them to A&E at your local hospital or call 999 and ask for an ambulance. If it is not an emergency, get them to A&E or their doctor as soon as possible and encourage them to seek specialist help to deal with the habit.  

Feeling suicidal

If you think you might try to commit suicide now or very soon, talking isn't going to help, and you can't see a doctor soon enough, go immediately to A&E where they will assess your state of mind and get you to safety. If you are with someone else who feels suicidal, take the same steps to try to get them to safety as soon as possible. If you can't immediately tell someone you trust or see your doctor who will help you get the support you need, there are 24-hour helplines where you can talk to:


In extreme cases too much alcohol can cause an immediate health crisis. Call an ambulance or go to A&E if you think it is worse than just being drunk. If you need urgent support for a drink problem or are worried about someone else, you can talk to:

Child and Adolescent Mental Health service users

If you are already being seen by the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service you can call them within working hours. 

  • If you have a crisis card that you have prepared based on previous experience, get that now and contact your support people.
  • Contact the First Response Service on 111, then press option 2. Trained mental health professionals are on the other end of the land to help support you. 
  • Otherwise your GP, or their out-of-hours service, may be able to help you. 
  • If none of this can be done go to A&E at your local hospital.

In a non-emergency situation

A Guide to Rough Times has lots more information to help you deal with these and many other problems. Use the side menu, the A-Z search or the free text search box.

The CPFT website also lists their own and many other services who can help.

Internal Links

The page was last updated on 03 May 2017 by andrea.bateman.

explore a guide to rough times

Contact our PALS team

need help, fast?

find out who to contact in a crisis

What's your problem?

what's making things rough?

explore the issues affecting your emotional and physical wellbeing

Get a life

enhance your life

find out how to boost your self esteem, relax and recharge

My liked pages

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust,Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital,Cambridge, CB21 5EF,T 01223 726789