Patient and Carer Race Equality Framework (PCREF
The Patient and Carer Race Equality Framework (PCREF) is an important part of the NHS's efforts to address racial disparities in mental health. It's a national plan that aims to help NHS organisations, like Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust (CPFT), improve how they serve people from communities facing racial inequalities. We know, for instance, that Black people experience higher rates of mental health conditions – but are less likely to get the help they need. This framework, recommended by the Mental Health Act review, will be mandatory for all NHS Trusts that provide mental health services and will form part of assessments by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
At CPFT, we're actively working on implementing PCREF in three ways:
- Leadership and governance: We'll make sure we follow the law and key acts, like the Health and Social Care Act 2012 and Equality Act 2010.
- Data: By using National Organisational Competencies, we will analyse our service data to understand how different groups are experiencing our services.
- Engagement: We'll involve patients and carers in planning, implementing, and learning from our efforts through the Patient and Carers' Feedback Mechanism.
Here's what's already happening at CPFT:
- We have created a PCREF advisory group that meets quarterly.
- We are analysing data on inequalities in prevalence, access, experience, and outcomes of care.
- We are working on a PCREF dashboard to track progress.
- Discussions are ongoing about engaging with patients, carers, communities, and staff.
- A draft priorities list based on data analysis is being developed and will be adjusted based on engagement.
- We are informing and involving CPFT teams in the PCREF initiative.
- Partnerships are being established with organisations in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
For more information, you can visit the NHS England's page on Advancing Mental Health Equalities here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/mental-health/advancing-mental-health-equalities/